Bright sun, blue skies, birds chirping, flowers in full bloom, and fruits ripe on the vine are some of the wonderful benefits of Summer. Many of us have been cooped up inside these past few months, but with warm weather there are many ways to take advantage of this beautiful season outdoors. Enjoying long walks, hiking, biking, swimming, kayaking, running, outdoor yoga, and golf are just some of the many activities that we like to partake in during the Summer, all of which can be done by yourself or with your family members. That is why Summertime is the best time to make the decision to live a healthier life!
Making strides toward a healthier life can be quite challenging, especially in these stressful times when it might seem easy to slip back into old habits. You have to begin thinking about all the changes you need to make physically and emotionally, such as getting some physical activity for 15 minutes a couple of days a week or changing what you eat. To help you on your way, here is some guidance on how to choose a healthier lifestyle this Summer.
Ways to live a Healthier Life:
- Eating fruits, vegetables, and proteins are a few of the keys to being on the right track to a healthy lifestyle
- Buy fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables to make sure you always have healthy options in your house, and try using some of your frozen fruit to make a smoothie for a great summer treat!
- Eat a variety of different healthy, natural non-processed foods; make sure you portion the amount you’re consuming
- Read nutrition fact labels on the back of packages so you can be a wise shopper – avoid packaged food as much as possible though
- Greet each day with a smile
- Have a kind word for those around you
- Show gratitude for the blessings in your life
- Look at yourself in the mirror and say “I love you, I’m proud of you, You are awesome!”
- Think about the physical activities that you enjoy such as walking, hiking, biking, swimming, running, kayaking, golf, frisbee, soccer, yoga, tai chi, pilates, karate, dancing, roller skating/blading, and zumba and start to incorporate them into your life
- Balance physical activities that you do by yourself with those you do with family members or roommates. Sharing physical activities with family, or friends at a distance if it’s safe, can make them more enjoyable and relaxing
- If you’re missing friends and family members who you can’t see in person, set up a FaceTime or Zoom workout date to spend time doing a fun activity together and help keep each other accountable
- Adults should be getting at least 30 minutes of exercise in throughout the week
- Find a routine that works best for you and try to stick by it
- Make sure you consult with your doctor on an exercise program you plan to begin
Break Bad Habits
- Excessive junk food, tobacco, overuse of alcohol or drug use are some of the most dangerous habits that you need to put a stop to immediately!
- Avoid places where you feel you are prone to be tempted (fast food joints, bars, being around certain people)
- Seek help! Breaking bad habits most often is not something that can be done alone. Surround yourself with healthy people who will encourage and support you. Seek professional help if needed.
- Try setting a goal for yourself, then when accomplished reward yourself with something healthy like a bubble bath, new workout clothes, or a massage.
Connect With Others
- Stay in touch with supportive friends and family members you can’t see in person by calling them regularly and letting them know you are thinking of them
- Make new friends by connecting with people online
Summer is the best time to start making healthier choices and see how much life really has to offer you!